The health and proper functioning of your spine are of vital importance for the performance and management of all your periodic activities. If by chance for an extended period you have been experiencing constant back pain, you are expected to undergo spine surgery.
Spine surgeries can be either complex or smooth going. These surgeries are recommended if in case you are facing back pain troubles for quite a long period. If in case, you happen to injure your back in an accident, you are expected to undergo spine surgery. When oral medicines do not help treat your back pain or injuries, then doctors suggest surgery. The intensity might vary depending on the situation. therefore doctors would highly recommend that kind of spinal procedure that implements a long-term advantage.
TYPES OF SPINE SURGERY
To tackle back problems, be it a serious infection or tumor, depending upon the intensity and necessity, doctors suggest the best kind of spine surgery. Some of the most prevalent back procedures are as follows:
- Discectomy – This involves removing a disc that is the root cause of your pain or is leading to other symptoms. A discectomy is further classified into two types, namely, percutaneous and microsurgical. Percutaneous involves making a small incision in your back and then using a suction device or laser, further remove a small portion of the disc. The microsurgical procedure involves making a small incision of over an inch long and then with the help of a microscope, comfortably removing the damaged portion of the disc and bone that covers your spinal canal.
- Laminectomy – This involves removing the backside of the spinal canal (lamina) which technically creates a roof over your spinal cord. If in case there are some kind of spurs developing due to osteoarthritis of the spine beside the lamina, then the doctors extract such bony projections.
- Spinal Fusion – This comprises a welding method where-in two or more vertebrae are welded collectively to produce a particular immobile joint. This procedure helps to resolve pain issues that are intensified due to different kinds of movements and stabilize spine issues which might have occurred following an injury or tumor.
- Vertebroplasty and kyphoplasty – Both the procedures involve correction compression fractions of the vertebrae. The doctor repairs a broken bone with a cement-like substance inserted into the vertebra. While these two procedures are virtually the same, kyphoplasty requires an added step. The doctor sets a small device like a balloon in the compressed vertebra minutes before he injects cement material and inflates it.
The above-mentioned procedures are all done near the spine and spinal cord. The worst thing is not being able to understand the above-mentioned procedures and not knowing for sure if it will be beneficial or not. In such a case you can discuss all your doubts with your doctors and understand each and everything regarding different kinds of spine surgeries in depth.
DIFFERENCES BETWEEN REGULAR SPINE SURGERY & MINIMALLY INVASIVE SPINE SURGERY
- Differences based on Reliability – Regular spine surgery requires a comprehensive exposure of anatomy whereas the minimally invasive spine surgery requires is typically rated more reliable than the regular surgery. You’ll customarily improve more quickly, waste less time in the hospital, and feel more relaxed while you recover.
- The Time-based difference – The minimally invasive spine surgeries can take as little as a half-hour, and some are even executed on an outpatient premise. In the case of regular spine surgeries, you may be on the table for a few hours because of the complexity.
- Difference based on Hospital Stay – You are expected to stay for up to a week or more in the hospital in case of regular spine surgeries as your medical team will track the progress. Thes best thing on the other hand about the minimally invasive procedure is that it cuts hospitalization times in half.
- Procedure based Difference – In case of regular spine surgeries, the incisions are typically extended to give the doctor the best view of, and access to, the anatomy. There can also be a slight possibility that, during your procedure, your muscles and ligaments will have to be cut through and thrust aside to reach the afflicted stretch. Such is not the case with minimally invasive spine procedures. The incisions during minimally invasive surgery can be as small as 3mm, which means there will be fewer chances of infections and a rapid possibility of recovery.
TESTS REQUIRED BEFORE SPINE SURGERY
Your doctor will try and make sure that you are thoroughly ready for your surgery. Your medical team will ask you all sorts of questions about prevailing health issues and your medical history if any. They will also look into your family’s medical history to have a better and clearer understanding. Your first check-up should take place one month before your procedure so that your doctors can take a good amount of time to tackle any medical intricacies you may have before your surgery. Standard tests that your doctor may ask you to have are:
- Blood tests CBC, kidney, liver, and blood sugar
- Chest x-ray to monitor your lungs
- ECG to monitor your heart
All the doctors will suggest the above tests based on your:
- Age Factor
- Overall Health Conditions
- Fitness risks
- Kind of Procedure you will be begetting
There are some additional tests which may be asked to get it done. They incorporate:
- Colonoscopy or upper endoscopy to monitor your bowel and stomach lining
- Heart stress analysis
- Lung function examinations
- MRI scan,
- CT scan
- Ultrasound inspection
RECOVERY POST SPINE SURGERY
Healing and recovery post a discectomy surgery is quite fast. You might feel numbness, weakness, and pain after discectomy is performed on you but gradually, these issues will subside and it will be minute within a few weeks. The recovery period following laminectomy and fusion surgery is long-drawn. Your bones need to heal well and this would require at least 3-4 months once your surgery is done. The fact reveals that healing can last for at most concise one year. Post spinal fusion, the recovery takes time for older people but youngsters comparatively take a little less time to heal and commence with their activities. The period of your recovery also depends on how bad your condition was before the procedure.
To heal properly and efficiently be able to perform your activities after your spine surgery, you will have to make a lot of changes in your lifestyles. Be it your sleeping habits or food intake, everything would require alterations and modifications so that your body posture does not destruct and your nutrition remains stable. Your doctor will suggest certain exercises and physiotherapies which will help you discover how to move and do movements in a way that limits pain and securely holds your back.
Your doctor will give you a detailed medical planner with all the do’s and dont’s regarding your medicines and pain management. You can cut your bandages (or tape) within 7-10 days post your procedure. If your doctor decides it’s all right, you can remove it yourself as well. You have to take proper instructions regarding your sanitation facilities and bathing routines from your doctors. Avoid smoking and using tobacco products as it will slow the healing process and will also lead to additional discomfort. If in case you plan to do some kind of activity, you can take your prescribed medicines half an hour before commencing with it.
DIETARY & COMFORTING MUST-HAVES POST SPINE SURGERY
- Prepare beforehand so that the recovery can be conveniently followed and the likelihood of a prosperous operational outcome increases.
- Keep yourself hydrated always for nutrients to maintain an easy flow in your body and reach all organs.
- Eliminate processed foods from your diet and incorporate whole grains, beans, nuts, seeds, fruits, veggies, chicken breast, and salmon as a part of your diet. Eat high-fiber snacks, such as pears, berries, broccoli, avocado, bananas, lentils, beans, and artichoke to avoid stomach discomfort.
- Regular heat and ice therapy can be useful to relieve pain.
- Organize your daily pills in a pill organizer to avoid missing out on any doses.
- Post-surgery, you can avail of the benefits of different kinds of gear, like a cane or walker, grabber devices, shower seats, toilet riser, body pillows, recliners, back brace, and scratcher to avoid itchiness.
- You can comfortably wear your smooth silk pajamas to skid in and out of the bed.
Talk to your doctor in advance about how soon you will start to walk. Begin with short walks and try to work up to 10,000 steps every day gradually. Massage therapy can be remarkably beneficial to the healing manner. Even if you are not feeling well, try to be appreciative of the little stuff. Write down what you are grateful for, pray, or speculate on the exceptional connections in your life. Everyone’s body recovers at varying scales and frequencies. Try not to get irritated if you feel you are not back to your former character. A good improvement plan is key to a thriving and well-off surgical result.