Have lost you locks pretty young and struggling with your confidence, thinking about a hair transplant but worried about the finances or pain? Worry not we’ve got you covered with all the important information.
Various underlying conditions such as depression, thyroid, improper diet, hormonal imbalance, protein deficiency or low vitamin levels can cause hair loss.
In India hair transplant surgeries start from as low as Rs 25,000 /-
• People suffering from hair thinning or Alopecia (pattern baldness) can be prescribed drugs like Minoxidil or Finasteride, which can slow down the hair loss or in some cases even trigger growth. But the prescription drugs take up to a year to show results.
• Laser treatment can be used to reduce inflammation in the hair follicle, which leads to obstruction in hair growth.
• Scalp massages, oiling and maintain a balanced diet are other remedies to thwart the hair loss.
• When nothing else works and you are unwilling to do the bald look, the only option left is a hair transplant surgery.
Hair Transplant Surgery is a medical procedure in which hair from back or sides of the head are moved to the bald part of the area witnessing hair thinning. A dermatological surgeon either removes a strip of skin from the back of the head or removes hair follicles one by one and applies to the affected area. The two methods are:
• Follicular Unit Strip Surgery
In this method as mentioned above the surgeon extracts a 6 to 10-inch strip of skin from the back of the patient’s head, sets it aside and stitches the cut scalp close. The strip is then divided into hundreds of grafts containing a single hair or a few hairs. The number of grafts varies from patient to patient depending on the condition of hair.
• Follicular Unit Extraction
In this method, the team of doctors shaves the back of the patient’s head and then remove individual hair follicles one by one.
The rest of the procedure is the same in both methods; the hair surrounding the area covers the scars from stitches or holes left behind.
After preparing grafts the surgical team creates holes or slits to delicately place the grafts in the affected area. The complete process takes about 4 to 8 hours.
It usually takes 2 to 5 days for a patient to return to work. A patient is advised to keep the scalp covered with bandages for at least to 1 or 2 days. A one might feel pain, swelling, and mild discomfort after the surgery, so the doctor prescribes pain medication and anti-inflammatory to ease the pain and discomfort. The transplanted hair falls out within a month but one should notice growth within a few months. Most patients witness 60% new growth after 5 to 9 months. Sometime Minoxidil is also prescribed to improve the growth after the surgery.
Like any surgery, there are risks involved in hair transplant surgery as well. Bleeding and infections are the most common complications in such a medical procedure. The unnatural looking hair growth or scarring can also happen in some cases. Folliculitis is another major complication in which hair follicles are infected or inflammation can occur. Antibiotics and compressor can be used to get relief from such complications.
Another condition called Shock loss is also witnessed in some cases where the patient loses some original hair where new strands had been applied.
• Vigorous physical activity is strictly prohibited for at least a week following the surgery as it may lead to bleeding and even loss of grafts.
• Grafts should not be washed or disturbed for 24 hours post-op.
• Alcohol should not be consumed after he surgery as it may lead to blood thinning and ultimately cause bleeding.
• If using a hair dryer, use only at Cool setting as heat can cause bleeding.
• Apply an ice pack to suture sites for at least 3 days following the surgery.
• Applying pressure with a moist cloth for a few minutes can alleviate minor bleeding.
Before going in for a hair treatment surgery one should discuss all the possibilities with the doctor first and then only make the final decision.